02 November 2006

bebe quilt



The baby quilt is all wrapped up and ready to go. I finished it last weekend, but it has been one of those weeks. You, know. One of those. Finding daylight in which to photograph the darn thing ended up being more difficult than actually finishing it. The gray rainy half-light this morning had to suffice and it does not really do my handiwork any particular favors. Ah, well.



I had never machine-quilted a quilt before. So, yeah that's WAY easier. I didn't do anything too fancy. I alternated straight lines of quilting with zigzags for each of the strips. The walking foot cooperated nicely, I think it helped that I wasn't doing anything too curvy.



I wasn't sure about the bright orange binding, but now I like it. The reverse side looks like one of those blankets that movers use to protect furniture. Hmmmm. We'll pretend that was completely intentional and call it "industrial" and "modern."

I had great plans for accompanying accessories and big-brother gifties, but that's just what they remained. Plans. So just the blanket. I guess that'll do. And I hope it keeps a wee little baby very warm this winter.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it looks great!!!! I have to get me one them walking foots...since I still quilt by hand, which means planning gifts MONTHS in advance!!!

Anonymous said...

The quilt is SO cute! Love the orange binding.

Anonymous said...

Jeez, that was fast! It looks great--the blue and orange is a terrific combo.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think that will more than "do"! What a nice gift -- lucky baby. I love how it turned out!

Anonymous said...

oh, I lOVE it! well done!!

Anonymous said...

great job Julie! I really like the way the orange binding looks against the solid side. I am sure Mom and baby will both adore it!

shizzknits said...

Very pretty! I like the orange and blue a lot.

sulu-design said...

Oh, Julie, I love it! The color combo is perfect, you chose a great top pattern, the quilting lines are funky, and the contrast on the back looks really cool. The recipients are going to love it, too!

hannah said...

so so so AWESOME julie!! is there a secret to strip quilts or is at straightforward as it looks? i have a baby gift to get crackin' on!

beki said...

Absolutely stunning! What a lucky recepient.

Anonymous said...

great choices-- i'm jealous of your straight quilting, too. really great julie.

African Kelli said...

Julie, you really should be so impressed with yourself. This quilt is so, so nice and your quilting looks fantastic. Good for you!

Prisca: said...

love this--it is going on y list of things to do at some point. looks like a beginner like me could manage it!